Friday, August 7, 2015

Gift of Monsanto

We live in a world of fragmentation.  This is the basis of our dimension.  What appears to be good (organic farming) and evil (Monsanto) in another dimension are the same, they are brothers, they are loved ones cut from the same cloth.  When we can realize this, we can be grateful for the so called bad or evil and the lessons that they provide.  

In truth, I find it difficult to say that I am grateful for Monsanto.  However, when I can allow myself to be centered and in my Heart space, when I can be in that place of wide vision and fuller perspective, I can see that Monsanto has provided a lot of good in this world.  Because of their GMO campaign, more and more people are reawakening to the importance of our Seeds, to protecting them, saving them, recognizing the Sacred in them.  Companies and organizations like Organic India are created to help re-build communities and return dignity to farmers who were decimated by the lure of pesticides.  Thanks to Monsanto, we can recognize and celebrate in the light of individuals like Vandana Shiva.  While she rallies against Monsanto and GMO, she brings our awareness to other issues such as gender equality all the while bringing more Light and hope into this world.  If it was not for Monsanto, she may not have been given as big of a stage to do this.  Now with the latest Monsanto effort referred to as the “Dark Act”, this is bringing more awareness to the importance of knowing what is in your food and where your food comes from.  I can foresee the consequences of this may be more people growing their own food or getting to know the people who grow it, which again has the benefit of creating community.  

You won’t find me in the street carrying signs saying “I love Monsanto” nor will I be buying Monsanto owned products - which reminds me of another gift of Monsanto.  They have helped me be even more aware of who owns the foods that I buy.  I had no idea that Monsanto owned so many companies.  I admit I have supported them before through my purchases, now I am even more vigilant.  And best of all, my son is too!

I live in an incredible area rich in farmland.  I could very easily source all of my food locally, but I don’t.  I do know the people who grow my vegetables, most of my fruit, and my meat and dairy.  I still buy some items (bananas, avocados, nuts) that do not grow here.  And I am occasionally seduced by the labels of packaged foods - coconut ice cream, chocolate, almond milk.  However, thanks to Monsanto I am renewing my passion for eating local, for growing my own food, and for talking to the other people who grow or make my food.  I don’t need labels on my food if I know where it comes from and the values of the people who grow it.  If I can visit the farm and talk with the farmers about the seeds that they are using, no label is necessary.  Thank you for reminding me of the Sacredness of Seeds and Food and helping me to reconnect with my community.

We may want to think that Monsanto is evil; however, they and their actions are only necessary because we have forgotten.  If we remembered the Sacred gift of Seeds and Sacred act of planting, harvesting, and saving them; if we remembered the preciousness of community and remembered the importance of farmers, giving them their proper recognition; if we remembered how to work with Nature to grow our food and medicine; if we remembered the Sacredness of Nature including the Weeds and Insects, we would not need an entity like Monsanto to remind us.  

Thank you Monsanto for reminding me.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful transmutation!
    As I perused the edge of my wild and wooly butterfly meadow, gathering blackberries , the other day, I came upon line upon line of regiments of GMO corn butting up into the riparian buffer. I experienced it as assault. When I asked the corn how it felt, it told me that it longed to break rank, to shed its genetic code, and join natures patterns.

    ReplyDelete